copyright consultation Toronto "town hall" starts in a few minutes

Terrence Enger tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 28 21:56:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 18:40 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> To register for webcast (all real seats were spoken for long ago):
>   http://copyright.econsultation.ca/topics-sujets/show-montrer/27
>
> Although they don't say so, it looks like it will work on Linux if you
> have Adobe Flash.  Cannot be sure yet.

Michael Geist's blog <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/> has two recent
postings suggesting that not all in the consultation process is
as it should be.

(*) In "The Toronto Music Industry Town Hall"
    <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4329/125/> he
    suggests that the meeting was stacked by industry
    representatives.  Not all is bleak however: "My own view is
    that it was so over-the-top that their message was lost in
    light of such an obvious orchestrated attempt to stack the
    deck."

(*) In "Government May Be Altering Copyright Submissions Without
    Consent" <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4328/125/>
    he accuses the government web site of counting alike all
    submissions which start with a provided form letter regarless
    of how the submitter may have customized it.  Sigh!

Cheers (well, that's what I say, anyway),
Terry.