Mongo and Cassandra databases

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 28 21:23:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, tug wrote:

> I will still come back to my trivial MySQL / Postgres question.. but in the
> mean time, I've been asked to look at MongoDB
> (http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Home) and Cassandra
> (http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/) for possible inclusion in a project
> (and no, there is specific project in mind)
>
> These products look to me like things for quick turn around killer webapps
> that are intended to virally take over the world, and would be risky to use
> unless you had nothing to loose in the first place... any heartfelt opinions?

Hi Tug.  The key is to use the type of database that matches the data &
type of queries you will be doing.  Relational databases are great if you
have sets of data and need to recombine them in certain ways to get a
meaningful result.

If, OTOH, you just need to do a bunch of lookups then it may make sense to
store your data in LDAP (backed by BDB) perhaps.

Document-oriented database (CouchDB, MongoDB, Cassandra) are different
again.

We're lucky that so many options are available now.  I'd say use one of
these DBs if the app would benefit from having its data stored like that.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com