OT: Good Programming Courses Suggestions for technique rather than language

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 27 14:18:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Dave Germiquet<davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am currently looking to expand my programming knowledge from more
> than College. College has taught me the basics of programming, Object
> Oriented concepts however not how to properly use them. I have learned
> alot of my concepts from looking at other people's programs.
>
> I am looking to take a course which gives me information on how to
> properly structure code and use Object Oriented programming in day to
> day use.

Why not find an OpenSource project to join and help out in? See if you
might like WxWidget, join their forum, ask questions, not for you than
try some other project. I just picked this project out of thin air,
I've look at WxWidget and it's design is based on Windows MFC
framework which is a C++ project.

The real skill you will need to develop and one a lot of new
programmers overlook is learning how to read and understand someone
else code and more to the point extend functionality. Learn how to
debug someone else code and deconstruct it so you can see the design
using such techniques as UML modeling.

> Can anyone make a suggestion on where to find a course with more
> advance concepts of programming? Language is not really specific
> however I'd prefer java/c/php.

I would pick an OO language over a procedural language. You can always
program a procedural program in an OO language. If you come for a
procedural language background you will been hard pressed to
understand OO concepts let alone debug such programs when things like
virtual function and polymorphic behaviour come into play. I struggled
with this one for a while when I got started.

> Basically so I'm programming the correct way, instead of just putting
> code together to do a specific task.

Programming in a art ;) there are many ways to do the right and wrong
thing. You will get this from experience overtime as you get exposed
to other people's codes and concepts.

If you use the KISS principle, don't over design and your code is
functionally sound and well unit tested then you're in very good shape
IMHO.

> Dave Germiquet

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav