Kernel upgraded but not Nvidia

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 27 14:11:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM, JoeHill<joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> In a recent update the kernel was upgraded to 2.6.30, but when I rebooted there
> was no corresponding nvidia module, so for now I've been using 2.6.26.
>
> I thought there might be a more recent nvidia module in unstable, so I tried
> that but I get:
>
> node1:/home/joehill# aptitude -t unstable install nvidia-glx
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>  nvidia-glx
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  gnome-vfs-obexftp{u} libevolution5.0-cil{u} libhesiod0{u} libkadm5srv5{u}
>  libopal3.6.1{u} libpam-cracklib{u} libpt2.6.1{u} libusb-1.0-0{u}
>  libzephyr3{u} nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686{u}
>  nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-686-bigmem{u} padevchooser{u} paman{u} paprefs{u}
>  pavumeter{u} pulseaudio-module-gconf{u} pulseaudio-module-zeroconf{u}
>  toolame{u}
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 18 to remove and 426 not upgraded.
> Need to get 7129kB of archives. After unpacking 33.2MB will be freed.
>  nvidia-glx: Depends: nvidia-kernel-185.18.31 which is a virtual package.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> nvidia-glx
>
> Score is -9881
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
>
> Does this mean that nvidia-glx will be upgraded? It seems to be saying it will
> be removed...

Yes, it looks like it's removing nvidia-glx due to conflicts with
other packages on your system (maybe the newer kernel).

AFAIK, "nv" is the open-source module and "nvidia" is the proprietary
implementation (and last time I checked "nv" didn't support most
3d/acceleration features). If the driver from your distro doesn't
work, try downloading one straight from nvidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You'll need to turn off X to install, and run the downloaded (.run)
file from the CLI, but it may be a newer version that the conflicted
one in the distro.