OT: Website CMS

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 25 03:09:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM, William O'Higgins
Witteman<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 08:45:18PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>>About Python, being a C++ developer I like using my braces { } to
>>denote code blocks, or any other visual indicator like 'end'
>>
>>I maybe be wrong about this, but read that python (only) uses
>>indentation to denote code blocks? I just don't want to be looking at
>>code that may have several nested blocks trying to line up code
>>blocks. That is what is stopping me from liking Python, that were I
>>stopped looking at Python. If I am wrong about this let me know.
>
> I think you will find that you are wrong, and it will not be a problem.
> My experience is that I was already using an auto-indenting editor (vim,
> but all good editors do this, and most of the bad ones too) and I just
> stopped noticing that I wasn't using braces.
>
> I have had other people claim to be skeptical, but once they got going
> it was the same as it always was - they didn't change their indentation,
> they just didn't use a character to augment the indentation they were
> already doing.
> --

Thanks William, I was thinking this might be the case about
indentation and my (silly) bias. Unfortunately I have seen too many
bad C/C++ code that has been well indented yet has too many nesting to
make it readable.

Also with many IDEs one can jump to the start and end of a code block,
since the IDE can match braces. I don't see how this is possible with
Python style code? If I am writing my own code, or the blocks are
small or not nested than I have no issues, but from my experience this
is not always the case.

If I am going to inspect and use community code, I don't want poorly
factored nested code to get in my way. I think that is my bigger
concern.

I guess this is one of those (personal) things when you get over it
you get over it, but I am not there =) .... maybe I need to look at
some production python code to convince myself and not let something
like this get in the way of using a (possibly) good framework.

Thanks for sharing your similar experience, I am sure I am not the 1st
or last developer to have this gripe about python.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav