OT: Website CMS

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 25 02:39:19 UTC 2009

On 24/08/09 05:01 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Unfortunately python is also an evolving language and is perfectly
> willing to destroy backwards compatibility while evolving.  My wife ran
> into the disaster that is python3 a few days ago trying to figure out why
> print statements weren't working on one of the UofT lab machines and why
> the numpy extension was completely broken.  Well someone had installed
> python 3.0 as the default python on the machine and print statements are
> no more (replaced by print() functions) and numpy hasn't even started
> to get ported to python3.  So when you use python, beware of upgrades.

I am not aware of any Linux distro for which Python 3 is the default.
You have to explicitly install it. Python 2.6, which is the latest
version prior to 3, will be supported for many years before we have to
worry about porting code to Python 3. At the moment, Python 3 is a
non-event for me at the moment.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay