[OT]: Proposed Standard for URL Shortening Services

Julian C. Dunn lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 23 02:51:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 17:19 -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> Saw this mentioned on Twitter a short while ago and thought it might
> be of interest for others on-list.
>
> (And, to be honest, I'm quite curious as to what you all might think
> of handling URL shortening in DNS.)

Details in the document seem too sparse to allow for much comment. My
initial reaction is that this is not a great idea. The main problems I
see with URL shortening services are a) possible namespace clashes on a
particular provider's service, particularly now that some services are
offering "custom" shortened URLs; b) loss of entire provider's shortened
URLs should that provider go down for whatever reason.

I don't see how storing the records in the provider's DNS would solve
b).

- Julian