Migrate MySQL... or not...

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 23:16:56 UTC 2009

On 21/08/09 05:29 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:
> As was earlier compared; MySQL vs. PostreSQL often stirs up emotions on
> par with the Vim vs Emacs, Linux vs Windows vs Mac, Canada vs. USA,
> Honda vs. Ford and many other "versus" debates. It's very difficult to
> be objective because each side is so convinced that they are right.
>
> Unless one side presents reproducible, empirical evidence along with
> their arguments, it's hard to believe any one side in any such argument.
> This evidence is fleetingly rate.

You must be a pretty fast reader if you've already read the volumes of
material on the sites I've referenced in both those posts and have found
them "hard to believe". :)

> If I do indeed give this talk, it
> would only be after coming up with some evidence to back it up.

You can start by reading the materials on the various web sites I've
already referenced starting with the famous "Oops, we did it again" blog
post by Monty Widenius.

> To do that though, I'd first need an idea of what each claims is their
> strength and investigate what each claims is the other's weakness. I'd
> need to come up with some code to actually test these assertions and
> make the code available for others to reproduce. I'd need to find a set
> of ways to fail each system and gauge their ability to recover.
>
> This will not be easy or quick,

That is the understatement of the year. Even having a dataset large and
complex enough with queries that exercise the capabilities of the
database isn't trivial, much less the underlying hardware.

> but as I said in my first most on this
> topic, I think it would be a useful exercise for me, as I of course have
> my own biases (PostgreSQL, Linux, Canada, Honda). I'd like to see if I
> can indeed create a neutral talk and presentation. Hearing the arguments
> from both sides would just be the first step I took.

Going through this exercise is like asking the question, "Which can move
more freight, a tractor trailer or my little red wagon?" and attempting
to be neutral while you examine all the evidence because you see, those
truck drivers who claim the tractor trailer can move much more freight
than the little red wagon are obviously biased and as such, can't be
trusted.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay