Migrate MySQL... or not...

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 23:10:26 UTC 2009

On 21/08/09 05:17 PM, William Muriithi wrote:
> That's just a guess, and hopefully Madi will have a
> couple of slides of why mysql tend to be more favored in corporate
> world and heck, by even most of the open source project seem to offer
> mysql over PostgreSQL

MySQL is more popular for the same reason that Windows is more popular.
It had prime mover advantage. Superior product don't always win.
Corporate environments favour solutions where there is someone to sue so
having a MySQL AB that sold "support" satisfied the "anus protectus"
needs of corporate buyers. I know that there is commercial support
available for PostgreSQL but having a company with the same name as the
product has its advantages. We're a pretty tech-savvy bunch on this list
and yet, I'll bet many people would be hard-pressed to name one company,
besides the one that I mentioned earlier, Sun, that provides commercial
support for PostgreSQL.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay