Migrate MySQL... or not...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 15:39:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Madison Kelly<linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> For what you're doing, I don't think one is really better than the other.
>
> I general though; I've come to see the differences as:
>
> MySQL; Faster, More features
> PostgreSQL; More Robust/Reliable, More compliant to the SQL standards.

MySQL *used* to be consistently faster, back about 8 years ago, but if
you're using any of the more modern storage engines, it's not obvious
that this is still the case.  There's a real paucity of good
benchmarks.

As for "more features," that hasn't ever been *remotely* close to
being the case.

MySQL(tm) was created as the "hacking on" of an SQL parser to a B-tree
implementation and has always been feature-impoverished.

In contrast, Postgres was a research project into experimental
database features, so that it *began* its life with stuff that other
DBs don't commonly have, such as the rules system.  See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/rules.html> which
references the relevant theoretical papers from the 1980s.

Give special note to:
 - The POSTGRES data model
 - The case for partial indexes
 - On Rules, Procedures, Caching and Views in Database Systems

These were presented as research in the '80s and early '90s; they were
part of the implementation long before MySQL(tm) existed.
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html