Migrate MySQL... or not...

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 21 14:22:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> tug wrote:
>
>> Robert Brockway wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, tug wrote:
>>>
>>>  At TLUG meetings I've heard negative comments about MySQL, and that
>>>>

>>> MySQL vs Postgres is like vi vs Emacs or Linux vs FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> The reality tends to show that each has advantages over the other
>>> depending on the workload.
>>>
>>> Even if you found that Postgres was faster than MySQL for your
>>> application it is unlikely that the difference would be enough for your to
>>> care. Under low load the bottleneck probably isn't the DB at all.
>>>
>>> OTOH the best way to learn about an app is to use it, so if you want to
>>> get experience with Postgres, then by all meants switch over.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>>  Thanks for the responses... I was worried about backing the wrong
>> (unmaintained) horse... I just use a database as a place to store data, and
>> don't really care which (open source) - INSERT, UPDATE, SELECT and DELETE
>> are all I use.
>>
>> If ever I develop a prototype killer app, I will be sure to consult a
>> database expert :)
>>
>> Tug
>>

> For what you're doing, I don't think one is really better than the other.

My opinion :

MySQL, strange license... questionable SQL (you can insert a 10 char string
into a 5 char field), prone to data loss.

Postgresql bsd license, much higher throughput, very difficult to lose data.
( I have had a customer pull the fiber out of a fiber channel and they
didn't lose any data.)

Dave