OT: Major (25%) savings on Thinkpads (today only)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 19 20:52:25 UTC 2009

I swore up and down that I'd never buy a /Lenovo/ Thinkpad again, and
today I proved myself a hypocrite.

They've got a sale on that ends today where you get 25% off a laptop
over $1,500 and free shipping.

I was going to get an ASUS B50A but I can't seem to find them
anywhere... Even Supercom, whom I have access to through work, stopped
carrying them. The promotion code is "CAP72HOURSALE".

I decided that my 3.5yo T43p is due for a replacement, so I got a shiny
new T400s (or rather, will have in 3 weeks). Apparently it's new enough
the Linux support isn't perfect, but I don't suspect it will be too long
before the bugs are ironed out, and none seem to be show-stoppers.

I got:

ThinkPad T400s (3.9lbs!)
- Intel Core 2 Duo SP9400 processor (2.40GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2)
- Windows Vista Business 64 (I know...)
- 14.1WXGA+ LED B/L (1440x900)
- Intel GMA 4500MHD (I didn't want discreet graphics, preferring battery
life)
- 2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (1 DIMM) (has a second DIMM slot, will upgrade later)
- T400s UltraNav with Finger Print Reader (doesn't work in Linux atm)
- 120GB Hard Disk drive, 5400rpm 1.8" Low Halogen (will upgrade when
SSDs mature a bit more)
- Intel Turbo Memory 1.6, 2GB (not sure about Linux support, but should
improve battery life on platter HDDs)
- DVD Recordable, Ultrabay Slim
ExpressCard 34 Slot
T400s 6 cell Prismatic Battery (no 9-cell option [yet])
- Integrated Bluetooth PAN 2
- Intel WiFi Link 5300
- ThinkPlus 3 Year EasyServ Total for 1 Year EasyServ (I expect my
laptops to last three years!)

They have the docking station now, but it's not on the system yet. I had
to order it separately and the CSR was only able to take 10% off of
that, which worked out to an extra ~$210.

All in all, this cost me $1,834.72 + the dock, saving me ~$811.35.
That's quite the savings, if you're looking for a business laptop... My
one warning though is; Don't expect even five minutes extension to the
warranty. Lenovo sticks to the end of their warranty period like glue.
My T43p's mainboard died 7 days after it's 3 year warranty expired and
they wouldn't help me. I ended up buying an R-series mainboard to keep
it going until I had the money to replace it.

Anyway, hope this might help someone and if not, sorry for the line noise.

Madi