Does such a system exist?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 19 19:57:09 UTC 2009

Just to clarify...

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, James Knott wrote:
> Daisy chaining serial ports will result in long response
> times. Each time you pass through a computer, the serial port
> has to receive the entire character and then transmit it.

No. I wasn't talking about daisy chaining serial port, but
getting each computer to access next computer's console through
serial port. For normal access each computer will be a server
with its own network connection. So it is daisy-chaining console
access, not the serial ports.

> Also, if any computer along the chain is down, you won't be
> able to reach any beyond it.

Only if all those machine is down.

> Also, how would you select one computer from the rest?

Well, you connect to each computer through network connection,
using TCP/IP. :-) Serial ports only to connect to next machine's
console.

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, James Knott wrote:
> It seems to me ssh is the better solution. If a computer is
> capable of connecting via the serial port to the next
> computer, ssh would likely work to.

Not really. The serial port is to connect to console (both BIOS'
and kernel's console). This and idea for relatively cheap "out
of band" connection. There is many condition where the machine
cannot be connected by ssh, but can be accessed through console,
e.g. to control its booting, even reinstall OS, etc.

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/