Does such a system exist?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 17 21:52:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:29 PM, S P Arif Sahari
Wibowo<arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Erik L wrote:
>>
>> In lieu of something like HP iLO or another built-in solution, a remote
>> reboot + KVM over IP is one alternative.
>
> Wondering if anybody do a solution using firewire? Through firewire, not
> only one can reset, but one can also get the memory dump from a completely
> locked-up machine. :-)

That's mighty cool, but that would seem to have the downside that it
requires that you set up a Firewire bus connecting to all the
machines.

I know where I can get 6-port FireWire hubs, but not patch panels with
24 or 48 FireWire connections ;-).

The more natural solution is that of KVM-over-IP, perhaps alongside
having network-accessible power controls.

A brief browse suggests that in quantity, KVM-over-IP can be gotten
for ~$100/server; I would be exceedingly surprised if you could get a
FireWire solution cheaper.

Unfortunately, adding this in for ~400 servers would cost about
$40,000, for KVM, and it may cost some comparable amount to add power
controls.
Ted Turner  - "Sports is like a war without the killing." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html