Does such a system exist?

Erik L erik_list-etARiVBfTZtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 17 19:41:44 UTC 2009

Dave Germiquet:
> Do you have monitoring on those systems? Because you may be able to
> limit the amount of hardware resets/soft resets by monitoring the
> applications and attacking the problem before it gets that bad.

I think that's solving the wrong problem. Console access is still useful and sometimes you don't know when you might need it. For example, you might make a change in production that went fine in testing and discover that a server is going into kernel panic a few hours later. There is no opportunity here to "attack the problem before it gets that bad" and monitoring can't help you at that point other than to tell you that the box is down.

In lieu of something like HP iLO or another built-in solution, a remote reboot + KVM over IP is one alternative.