Does such a system exist?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 17 18:22:58 UTC 2009

| From: teddy mills <teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org>
|
| Erik L wrote:
| > > Does such a system exist?
| > Yeah...it's called HP iLO :)

| Just Migrate 400 servers and spent 500K.
| Glad your not my sales rep or consultant :)

Just buy 400 servers and then figure out how to manage them.  Glad you
aren't my boss :-)

Honestly, I don't know much about this subject.  Certainly there are
all sorts of schemes for "manageablility".  Too bad that most of the
blurbs are marketing and avoid at all costs explaining what is
involved.  I fear too often that these require proprietary software
components that are unavailable to Linux.

Intel vPro(TM) Techology, for example.
http://www.intel.com/technology/vpro/index.htm

HP, IBM, Lenovo, and Dell all address these issues too.

My impression is that if you want these features, the vendors expect
you to have a large amount of cash that they can extract from you.
The advantage of Intel is that there is a limit to the amount of cash
they feel that they can get for a CPU & chipset.

When I moved from a Sun workstation to a PC fifteen years ago, I could
not believe how little thought there was to managing it without
sitting at the PC's keyboard and display.  All Suns I used supported
serial consoles and headless operation (oh, and diskless).  They also
had better graphics at the same time.  And more powerful firmware for
the console (forth-like).

This might be interesting, but I wonder if the company is still alive.
A bit pricy too.  Oh, and PCI slots are disappearing.  An Ebay search for
"PC weasel 2000" comes up empty.

http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-November/134685.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Weasel_2000