suggestions on UPS for linux / esx

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 16 15:39:09 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I have always been happy with APC.  The APC Smartups 1500 being my
> | prefered UPS (at least whenever Dell puts it on sale for $200).
>
> Today's Ted Hot Deal of the Day from Dell is a different APC UPS.  By
> the small quoted "starting from" price, I infer it isn't as good:
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=hotdeals_redhot&redirect=1
>
>     APC Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD - UPS - 865 Watt - 1500 VA 120 V UPS System
>
>     Starting From		$269.99
>     You Save		$80.00
>     Now		$189.991
> --

I got one these units from work that they were throwing out evidently
the batteries were toast. I refilled them with distilled water and got
it to work again however only briefly.

For some reason our IT which is based in Montreal doesn't do any
maintenance on these units. Maintenance
free is a myth IMHO especially with Lead Acid batteries. BTW they are
not sealed completely and can be easily opened.

I found replacement batteries for $116.16 from here
http://www.a1parts.com/cgb/12180HR-1.htm

OEM is too expensive or I'm too cheap ;-)  Any other suggestion on where
to get them or alternatives?

TIA
.
John