GPL Case Against Danish Satellite Provider

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 16 13:20:53 UTC 2009

Michael Lauzon wrote:
> >From Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/08/16/001254/GPL-Case-Against-Danish-Satellite-Provider):
>
> The number of satellite and cable boxes on the Danish market using
> Linux has significantly increased during the last couple of years. The
> providers Viasat (http://www.viasat.dk/), Yousee
> (http://www.yousee.dk/) and Stofa (http://www.stofa.dk/) all provide
> HD receivers based on Linux, and all of them fail to provide the
> source code or make customers aware of the fact that the units are
> based on GPL licensed software. I decided it was time to fix this
> situation and luckily the Danish legal company BvHD
> (http://www.bvhd.dk/) has decided to take the case. We are starting
> with Viasat, which distributes a Samsung box including middleware and
> security from NDS, and you can follow the case here
> (http://duff.dk/viasat).

How does it work, if they don't make the box?  I have a Samsung Blu-ray
player and it contains the GPL etc. in the manual.  Now if Samsung
included it in the manual, but the companies distributing the box don't
pass on the manuals, who's at fault?  Does Samsung have the source code
on their web site?