FC-11 M2N-MX acpi (fwd)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 15 03:57:33 UTC 2009

a reason to not like ASUS motherboards?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:50:27 -0400
From: Tony Nelson <tonynelson-hzk1jUy22cx2Hkfh2fy/LAC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org>
To: fedora-list-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: FC-11 M2N-MX acpi

On 09-08-12 05:00:31, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Don't know if it relates to you motherboard, but I read something and
> added this to my kernel line. acpi_enforce_resources=lax

Supposedly this only affects ASUS motherboards, and then only
lm_sensors.  Currently, its only function is to prevent lm_sensors from
working on ASUS motherboards.  Someday it may do more.

> That line had to do with ASUS having added something to there
> hardware, but it  isn't openly documented.

No, even though ASUS does not document their hardware, it isn't for
anything they added.  It is a half-baked attempt to require that only
one driver use a piece of hardware.  Currently it is only enabled for
ASUS motherboards, and is only used by lm_sensors.  See, for example,
this thread on LKML:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/25/105