MythTV (was Re:[OT} Rogers: Very Loud Volumes for Commercials )

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 21:21:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:17:23AM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Hmm, actually I've been fighting with Myth on other issues lately. My
> myth box isn't so much used as a PVR as it is a rebroadcaster. There
> are a few places around the house where it's not convenient to run
> cable, but there are computers, so I can pull the "live" signal
> through myth+wireless.
>
> However my girlfriend's laptop has a rather crappy 802.11b card, which
> gets plenty of stutters and jerks due to low bandwidth. AFAIK myth
> sends everything as MPEG2, which is probably a bit much for that wifi.
> Is it possible to use other encoding/decoding methods for the "live"
> TV etc in myth, such as Mpeg4/DivX/theora/etc?

Well it can transcode after the show is recorded.

I know my tuners (a dual tuner PVR500) does mpeg2 in hardware.  I believe
that if your tuner does no compression then compression is done in
software and I suspect you could pick something other than mpeg2 then,
although you would need massive amounts of cpu to do mpeg54 on the fly.

Perhaps you could get a better wifi device for the laptop.

--
Len Sorensen