[OT} Rogers: Very Loud Volumes for Commercials

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 20:51:14 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 08:19:24PM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
>> I wonder if Myth could be configured to use this to identify the
>> commercials, then automatically delete them.
>
> Currently it does it entirely based on the video and not at all based
> on audio.

I did hear about a Japanese PVR a long time ago the worked by looking at
the audio tracks. As I recall, they typically always had two audio
tracks, one in japanese and one in english for most shows. Except that
the commercials were always in japanese, even on the english audio
track. Therefore this device simply compared these two tracks if they
were the same then delete, if not then keep. Again from my fading
recollection, it apparently worked so well that the broadcasters
complained, and it may have been pulled from the market as a result. I'm
sure this was at least 10 years ago.