MythTV (was Re:[OT} Rogers: Very Loud Volumes for Commercials )

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 14:17:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Colin McGregor<colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 8/13/09, Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I wonder if Myth could be configured to use this to identify the
>> commercials, then automatically delete them.
>
> Typically MythTV systems are configured so that they will detect
> commercials via audio compression and the channel logo that appears
> usually in the bottom left corner. When the compression levels go high
> and the logo disspears you are typically talking a commercial. This
> set-up isn't perfect I've seen comedy show parody commercials that
> MythTV has mistaken for the real thing....
>
> The above occasionsal false positive also explains why MythTV systems
> typically by default don't auto delete commercials, merely notes them
> and then by default skips commercials during playpack. This way for
> the few times MythTV mistakes real programming for a commercial you
> have the option of going back and telling MythTV to play everything...
>
> Colin McGregor
>
>> Jamon Camisso wrote:

>>> My guess, you have equipment that can produce decent quality sound? See
>>> http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/G3.htm for more on compression and
>>> frequency tinkering used by advertisers.
>>>
>>> Jamon
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Hmm, actually I've been fighting with Myth on other issues lately. My
myth box isn't so much used as a PVR as it is a rebroadcaster. There
are a few places around the house where it's not convenient to run
cable, but there are computers, so I can pull the "live" signal
through myth+wireless.

However my girlfriend's laptop has a rather crappy 802.11b card, which
gets plenty of stutters and jerks due to low bandwidth. AFAIK myth
sends everything as MPEG2, which is probably a bit much for that wifi.
Is it possible to use other encoding/decoding methods for the "live"
TV etc in myth, such as Mpeg4/DivX/theora/etc?

If not, I suppose I could just run a session with VLC on both ends if
I can find the commandline arguments to read in from the TV card.