Toronto Open Source Week - Oct 24-30 ?

Andrew Heagle andrew-vUgxaBqSMS7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 00:52:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 17:10:28 CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On 13/08/09 04:29 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > I don't know what the "not-for-profit open source expo" on the 26th is
> > supposed to be, though...
>
> It's supposed to be a clear signal to businesses that "you're not really
> welcome here". I've noticed an unfortunate tendency amongst some (many?)
> open source proponents to consider "profit" to be a dirty word.

Actually, this is supposed to be an expo for not-for-profit organizations to
learn more about how open source can help them in their work and/or
alternatives to proprietary software.

"For profit" organizations are allowed to be there as exhibitors, so long as
they are there to pitch open source concepts. I'm sure there will be many
"consultants" pitching their services.

Anyhoo, you can read more about it on this thread.
http://global.proximity.on.ca/pipermail/tosw-discuss/2009-July/000012.html

Andrew