[OT} Rogers: Very Loud Volumes for Commercials

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 00:36:33 UTC 2009

On 8/13/09, Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I wonder if Myth could be configured to use this to identify the
> commercials, then automatically delete them.

Typically MythTV systems are configured so that they will detect
commercials via audio compression and the channel logo that appears
usually in the bottom left corner. When the compression levels go high
and the logo disspears you are typically talking a commercial. This
set-up isn't perfect I've seen comedy show parody commercials that
MythTV has mistaken for the real thing....

The above occasionsal false positive also explains why MythTV systems
typically by default don't auto delete commercials, merely notes them
and then by default skips commercials during playpack. This way for
the few times MythTV mistakes real programming for a commercial you
have the option of going back and telling MythTV to play everything...

Colin McGregor