Hardware recommendations, please

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 13 20:17:00 UTC 2009

| From: Chris F.A. Johnson <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org>

|    I am also planning to buy an LCD monitor in the 22" to 24" range,
|    perhaps
|    <http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=022917&cid=888.MT.863>.
|
|    What do I look for?

I like 24" 1920x1200 monitors.  That's as as many pixels as you can
drive without Dual Link DVI.  Dual Link is getting more common but is
not universal.

On principle, I don't like these new even-wider-screen 24" monitors.
1920x1080 cuts down in the dimension I care about most.  On the plus
side, it is the highest standard HDTV resolution, but I don't care.

There are different kinds of LCD technology.  All the cheap ones use
TN panels.  I'm not really sure why that is inferior, but I'd figure
that out before buying one that I intended to use for hours on end.