OT - Being 787 issues, does this mean carbon composite has issues?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 9 00:25:48 UTC 2009

Peter wrote:
> I am not so happy with flying Airbus myself, after a few hard landings in which
> I saw the cabin bend like a banana.
Large structures, such as bridges, tall buildings and even aircraft are
designed to bend under load.  As long as it's within specs, it's fine.
BTW, take a look at how much the wings flex on large aircraft.  Some
military planes (B-52 & U2 come to mind) require outriggers, to keep the
wing tips off the ground, when full of fuel.  A rigid airframe would be
prohibitively heavy and perhaps not as able to withstand loads.