Parallel programming

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 8 18:12:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 04:29:47PM +0000, Peter wrote:
> Look for "PI calculus", "API calculus" and "deadlock-free algorythms" and
> "non-blocking synchronization". These are more or less they keys to parallel
> computing. Mosix is a well known implementation of distributed computing that
> runs  on Linux (too) and it has a lot of documentation. The Ada and Java common
> programming languages have native parallel processing support (of some sort).
> Someone on this list ran a small cluster for graphics I think, I believe that he
> gave it up (I believe it was William Park). The subject is huge and I am not an
> expert :)

My advice is, "Give it up".  You can't make money doing "parallel
processing".  Those doing "parallel processing" are government funded
organizations (lab or school), and they've got infinite supply of cheap
labour.

Just as you think that you figured everything out, you get killed by
commodity PC.  Mine was 4 x dual-P3, and it become obsolete 4 months
after I built it.  I could've bought a new car, instead.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>