Parallel programming

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 7 17:06:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:45:55PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> Does anyone have experience or can recommend a good resource for
> high-performance parallel programming?
>
> Specifically, I have been asked to help one of my colleagues parallelize
> a simulation.  Ideally I would like to be able to run it on many, many
> Linux machines via Amazon Web Services or similar service, but it would
> be great to maximize an arbitrary number of cores as well as
> physical/virtual machines.  Thanks.

Loop up OpenMPI.  As far as I can tell most clusters support OpenMPI,
and it is quite efficient for SMP systems too (folding at home uses MPI
for the SMP client).

An application designed around the OpenMPI interface should be really
easy to make run on anything with pretty good efficiency.

--
Len Sorensen