Parallel programming

Wed Aug 5 16:55:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:40:38AM -0700, Pete Lancashire wrote:
>I've been following this thread and I think a better description
>of the requirements is needed

I'll do what I can.  I don't yet have the full spec to work with.

>if you looking for 'over the web', are you OK with 'here is a
>slice of my data let me know in a hour or day or two when you
>are done with it and I may give you some more' ?

Yes - basically we have an agent-based simulation with an adjustable
number of agents (but ultimately we will want to be able to run it with
millions) and many, many scenario parameters - hundreds.  Each scenario
can be run separately - no message passing.  However, right now a single
scenario is being run on a single machine, and it is CPU bound and
currently non-parallel.

>Here in Oregon we use to be able to 'rent' space on a few Beowulfs
>for free if the usage was educational or similar use. What does
>UT have ?

Finding available grids, clusters is not the problem - writing the code
to utilize it is.
--

yours,

William