Bell Breaks DNS (Was: Rogers Breaks DNS)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 5 15:50:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Scott Elcomb<psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Colin McGregor<colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Just to note, Rogers has decided to break DNS. As of now any trip to a
>> website with an invalid URL and you will be taken to a Rogers/Yahoo
>> search website (with Rogers adverts.). I have called, complained and
>> been told "that is the way it is supposed to work".
>>
>> Is it my imagination or is Rogers totally determined to offer the
>> WORST possible Internet service in Canada?
>
> Could be, but of course Bell has rejoined the competition.  I just
> tried a random domain (www.somefreakingdomain.ca) and sure enough I
> got the "bellassist" page.
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/04/1512248/Bell-Starts-Hijacking-NX-Domain-Queries

... Which is why you should run your own caching DNS server that
points to the root.

This solves that problem, as if you run your own DNS server that
starts at the root, it heads to more properly authoritative sources,
only ever consulting Rogers or Bell if you are actually referencing
names for which they are *supposed* to be authoritative.

It is also at least somewhat helpful at making "cache poisoning" DNS
attacks less effective.  Attacking the DNS servers at Bell/Rogers is
no longer effective, at least :-).
Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html