OT - Being 787 issues, does this mean carbon composite has issues?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 3 18:20:00 UTC 2009

> > The general feeling around some of my friends in Seattle is Boeing
> > did not do what Boeing would have done in the past, extensive
> > testing vs today relying on CAE.

Hmm, which would be a little unsettling considering the magnitude of error
here. It begs the question, can we assume that there are errors somewhere
else yet to be discovered. Hope this do not end up being another DC 10
fiasco.

> It's also my belief that the underlying politics of the manufacture --
> that call for major component plants and jobs scattered all over the
> world -- has made the process of completing the final assembly to be
> orders of magnitude more difficult than if more of the work was done in
> Washington State. It's my understanding that much of the wings and
> forward part of the 787 are made and shipped over from Japan, the back
> stabilizer comes from Italy, and other major parts (that require
> absolute precision fits) come from elsewhere.

Welcome to the world of compromise!

> Airbus has had the same problems -- one plant was using a different
> version of the design software than another, then they lost many months
> recovering from the differences found when matching up the resulting
> assemblies.

Agree, A380 issues was somehow related to developing pieces of the plane
from both Germany and France. However, this would not have occurred were
both side using the same software vendor.  This begs the question, is it the
geography or the software politics that came in the way of A380? I tend to
think its the later.

> IMO, until proven otherwise, this is a supply chain fsckup at least as
> much as anything attributable to the composition of the materials.

Evan, the parts did fit in properly. Its just that, the complete system
started breaking up earlier. Why did you arrive with that conclusion?