free antiques

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 1 18:39:20 UTC 2009

I have a large collection of old computer artifacts.  I'm going to get
rid of some of them.  I hate to throw things out (that's one reason I
have a large collection).

Does anyone know of a local forum for people who might be interested in
old computer stuff?  Freecycle doesn't count, but I'll use it as a
last resort.

Here are some things I'm deaccessioning now:

1) a complete set of old SunOS 4.1 manuals.  Paper.
>From 1990.  Perhaps a couple of metres of shelf space.

2) a pair of Small Form Factor DEC 60MHz Pentium computers.  A matched
pair, except one has the infamous FDIV bug and the other does not.  I
think that these computers were made in Canada.  They ran Linux when I
last used they don't have enough RAM for current general purpose
distros.

Intel offered to replace CPUs with the FDIV bug, with no specified
time limit.  It might be fun to ask to have the buggy Pentium 60
replaced -- I wonder if they have any left.  On the other hand, the
FDIV bug is a classic and it might be nice to have a CPU with it.

3) Still more old PCs: an AST Bravo SFF Pentium 100 and AST Bravo SFF
Pentium 90.  They also ran Linux.

Anyone interested?