MP3 player support

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 19:32:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out Linux support for media players.
> Unfortunately, I missed Colin's talk about media players at NewTLUG in
> January.
>
> We want to organize a bunch of songs in MP3 form, with playlists.  The
> best players that we have are MTP / PaysForSure: Sandisk Sansa E260
> (with stock firmware) and Creative Zen V.
>
> (We're hoping to use a player plus amplified speakers as a replacement for
> a stationary stereo system.  So physical size doesn't matter.  A nice
> interface and display would be valued.  We'd prefer to use one of the
> two players we already have so that we can learn how actual use works
> out.  We do think that playlists will be important.)
>

> Here's what I think I know.  It seemed hard to discover.
>
> Amarok does not support playlists on MTP players.  They expect this to
> be remedied by a Google Summer of Code project.
I'm not sure that it can pull playlists off the MTP device, but it
definately used to be able to write them to the device. I have a
Insignia MP3 player and Amarok was able to dump songs+playlists to the
device via MTP (though it did sometimes have connectivity issues
depending on the version of the MTP libs). This was about 12 months
ago as I haven't changed playlists recently, but it used to work...

> Rhythmbox 2.x does not support playlists on MTP players.  Rhythmbox
> 1.4 did, but that isn't the version that current Fedora or Ubuntu
> support. http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxRemovableMedia
>
> Gnomad2 does support the Zen V's playlists.  It's a bit crude and not
> being actively developed (as far as I know).
>

> We could use a Nokia 770 for this task but haven't thought that
> through.
>

> I'm not sure, but I think that the iPod support might be better than
> the MTP players, even though the iPod is more proprietary.  We might
> break down and buy an iPod.  I don't actually know what iPod makes
> sense to buy.  Here are some hints but I don't know how to map these
> into iPods actually for sale:
>  http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Supported+iPods
>

> Do you use an mp3 player and manipulate playlists with Linux software?
> What player?  What software?  How has your experience been?

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942