Storage Area Network as a tlug meeting topic

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 16:44:49 UTC 2009

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I saw the following recently that explains that (though doesn't
| particulary explain *why*) expensive disks can give 10x better
| performance than the cheaper disks.
|
| http://www.dbms2.com/2009/04/28/data-warehouse-storage-options-cheap-expensive-or-solid-state-disk-drives/

That seems extremely odd.  I'd really like a better explanation before
I accepted it as fact.

If error recovery is taking a significant amount of time, amortized
across a workload, then something seems wrong.  Worst case, sure, but
not average case.

If it is just normal final adjustment on seeking, that should show up
in the specifications and I don't think that it does (but I haven't
checked).

Do you know more?