MP3 player support

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 15:46:45 UTC 2009

| From: Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| On 30/04/09 09:49 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

| > The e260 can work as usb mass storage too, you just have to select
| > it in the setup on the player.  If you don't have the option, upgrade
| > the firmware.  The latest version has the option apparently.

That might be a good idea.

I wonder how well it works.

| > Older models of the w260 can also run rockbox instead of the original
| > firmware, which allows SDHC use (so larger than 2GB cards), as well as
| > support for other file formats.

I actually bought the e260 to hack on with RockBox.  I haven't gotten
to that.  But this is for Kadge (my wife) and I've inflicted too much
beta-quality stuff on her already :-)

| Rockbox supports the Sansa e260 as well.. that's what I have an it works like
| a charm. Adding/removing songs is as easy as dropping them or taking them out
| of a particular folder, like you would any other mass storage device -- no
| special software/protocols needed.

| Check out http://www.rockbox.org/ for full details.

I thought that rockbox didn't support USB yet.  That you had to reboot
to the original firmware to load stuff up.  Mind you, I haven't
checked the project site for some months.

I also thought that rockbox's power management was a problem (not
just power reporting).

| The interface is quite usable. I can bring it and let you use mine for a bit
| next meeting if you want to see what you think for yourself.

Sure.  I have to admit that only laziness (other priorities) has
prevented me from trying it myself.

Newegg.ca is selling refurbs cheap, today only:
  http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

$48.99 + free shipping (but they always charge about US$1 for shipping
when they say it is free -- odd).

Factory Direct has these refurbs off and on.  That's where I bought mine.