MP3 player support

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 30 13:49:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 01:17:31AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out Linux support for media players.
> Unfortunately, I missed Colin's talk about media players at NewTLUG in
> January.
>
> We want to organize a bunch of songs in MP3 form, with playlists.  The
> best players that we have are MTP / PaysForSure: Sandisk Sansa E260
> (with stock firmware) and Creative Zen V.
>
> (We're hoping to use a player plus amplified speakers as a replacement for
> a stationary stereo system.  So physical size doesn't matter.  A nice
> interface and display would be valued.  We'd prefer to use one of the
> two players we already have so that we can learn how actual use works
> out.  We do think that playlists will be important.)
>

> Here's what I think I know.  It seemed hard to discover.
>
> Amarok does not support playlists on MTP players.  They expect this to
> be remedied by a Google Summer of Code project.

The e260 can work as usb mass storage too, you just have to select
it in the setup on the player.  If you don't have the option, upgrade
the firmware.  The latest version has the option apparently.

Older models of the w260 can also run rockbox instead of the original
firmware, which allows SDHC use (so larger than 2GB cards), as well as
support for other file formats.

--
Len Sorensen