Help. Cannot change sound volume

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 29 20:10:03 UTC 2009

On 09-04-29 04:01 PM, Neil Watson wrote:
> I'm not sure when this started but currently alsamixer will not change
> any sound volumes or even mute channels. I have sound but it is a
> persistent volume only. Evening running alsamixer as root makes no
> difference. My sound card is a old, but well supported, SBLive.
>
> Any ideas?

Is it the mixer? Have you tried aumix or xmix?

We'll probably need more info.

What distro are you using? Some need the current user to be in the
sound/audio group. What are your permissions on /dev/dsp?

I've found that Adobe's flash or other apps can do funny things with the
sound "state", and sometimes I've noticed it stays that way even after
the program is done. I assume you've restarted X? In not, try that and see.

Marc

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   -- Albert Einstein