network issues, can't ping my IP

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 28 21:26:18 UTC 2009

Thomas Milne wrote:
> I just noticed that I cannot access my home IP from work. I cannot go
> to my domain (freeyourmachine.org), and a ping returns nothing, just
> 100% packet loss. I do not get 'unknown host', and it's resolving to
> the correct IP, so not sure what the problem is.

I just got something like this resolved.  In my case, Bell is
upgrading equipment in anticipation of IPTV, and something about my
line got misconfigured.  To repeat some of the nouns I heard, capacity
of my line was set to 8meg or 20meg, when 5meg was the setting that
worked.  In my case, Teksavvy eventually found the right people at
Bell to talk to, and the connection was made to work a few minutes
ago.  The main symptom that I saw was outbound PING packet loss of up
to 80%.  DNS was failing because too many packets were disappearing to
ever negotiate a name resolution.

> Last week I did enable this MLPPP thing on my Linksys router with the
> Tomato firmware, I wonder if that would have this kind of effect?
>
> What is the best way to check what is causing this, either from a
> remote loc'n or from home?

The DSL testing boxes that Bell techs carry detected this problem.
The Bell CO people could fix it.

	Mel.