Need help with 1 tb mass storage device with linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 28 18:59:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 08:16:24PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Hi, Fellow Tlugers
>
> I need a large external hard disk for back up and its proofing a
> little tricky that it need to be. The hard disk will be attached to a
> system running Red Hat 5.2. I have already bought two and not having
> any lack.
>
> I currently have a LANTEC  NexStar.CX  - that is all the labelling it
> has, and a 1TB hard disk inside. When I plug it in to the USB port and
> power on the drive, the hard disk come up - can tell that from the
> sound and LED lighting up, but there is no activity on the host. What
> I mean by this is, I can not see a new entry under dev directory, the
> dmesg is silent. In all way, its as if nothing was attached.
>
> I have counter checked by plugging in a flash disk and it get mounted
> immediately, so the problem is not on the host side. It must be
> something to do with the external drive. Now, is there anything I can
> do to force the operating system to be aware of it?

Anything in dmesg?  Anything in /proc/partitions?  Remember if you put
your own drive in a case, that you will have to partition it and format
it with a filesystem to make it work.  USB keys come preformated (as
FAT16 or FAT32 usually) so you save having to do that.

> If there is nothing I can do about the above, does any once have
> experience with a 1 TB external drive that works reliably under Linux?
> I am fine with both USB2 or IEEE 1394b. Ideally, the hard disk should
> be doing 7200 rpm, but would still pick up a 5400 rpm if it work well
> with Linux. Any assistance would be highly appreaciated

I have a vantec esata/usb external case with a 1TB WD SATA drive in it.
So far no problems with linux at all.

It just works.

Now redhat 5.2 is of course so totally ancient that it might not support
devices that large (unless you didn't mean redhat 5.2, but rather RHEL
5.2 or something, which is way different than redhat 5.2).

--
Len Sorensen