Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade surprisingly easy

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 24 14:28:06 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Yesterday the regular upgrade system on my Ubuntu systems did more than
just notify me of the latest Firefox bugfix; they informed me that a
system upgrade is possible, to Ubuntu 9.04. Anyone following Linux news
knows that this would indeed be the global launch date.

I moved cautiously, doing it only on a single system. I have had a mixed
past with the Ubuntu update system, finding it to be rather fragile and
having too many installation scenarios that it couldn't cope with.

The first install, Ubuntu on a netbook, went slowly. This was to be
expected, given the Eeepc's slow processor speed and the likelihood that
people from all over the world were hammering Ubuntu servers to do the
same download as I did. It was so slow that I had to cancel the package
download when I had to go home from the office.

Previously such a cancellation would have required a complete restart of
the process. But upon getting home and restarting, the update system
found what had already been downloaded and picked up right where the
aborted install left off. It went smoothly, and all of my netbook's
features (such as recongnition of the keyboard commpands to turn certain
hardware bits on and off) worked fine.

So now I'm trying it on another system, a Kubuntu desktop. So far, so good.

- Evan