Remote XWindow session

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 23 03:32:39 UTC 2009

| Is it possible to set up a remote xwindow session? What I want to do is
| connect to a remote Linux box that has no video card, but I still want
| to be able to run a local KDE session controlling the remote Linux box
| in a rich GUI environment.

Check out Xvnc(1) - it's an X server that has no actual display or
graphics card that is also a VNC server.  Handy if your X clients
need more bandwidth than you have e.g. if you're not on the same
ethernet as the server.  Can also be useful if the X clients are
not well behaved and expect a different environment than you have
on your local display.

As others have mentioned, you can run remote X clients on your local
display, either by setting DISPLAY and using xauth, or by using an
ssh connection and X forwarding.  And there's dxpc(1) if you're
running X clients across a slower link.

This whole possible separation of X client and server has been in
X right from the beginning, around 1984 or so.  Pity that Microsoft
Windows ignored everything else in the world and built a ludicrously
restrictive environment.

Hope that helps!

John