OO equiv to MS Publisher?

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 22 12:12:32 UTC 2009

Here is a cut & paste of an email I sent to this list a week ago. It
never went through. I stripped off the attachment and am resending it.
Is it because the attachment was too big (almost a MB)? I just want to
know for future reference.

Chris

I'd like to change this thread name to 'GiMP vs Photoshop'. I don't know
the exact format for the subject line: such and such WAS > so and so or
whatever.

Anyway, the teacher that's helping me with the poster has a licence that
allows him to give copies of Photoshop to other teachers (of which I am
one). He made a rough poster for me to look at. I opened it in linux and
it opened automatically in GiMP. Of course, that made me wonder if I
should edit it with GiMP instead of Photoshop. I mean I don't know
either apps so what's the difference? The other reason I'd rather do
this in Linux is that my only Windows box is dedicated to recording
Music and I've been strongly advised to keep it that way. So, just in
the past two days installing Photoshop and trying to edit/create a
poster I've had that machine on the Internet more than in the entire
year before. I had to go to webmail to get the poster he sent me (as
.psd), then grab an image off google, now I need the Bazooka font (from
the Internet) which comes as a .zip which means I'll have to download
Winzip. This is a recording studio production recording computer - I
can't be doing the Microsoft-on-the-Internet-every-two-seconds thing on
this box.

The machine I use for Internet and everything else is a Linux box. Is
GiMP so much harder than Photoshop that I'm going to regret trying to
use it instead?

Chris

P.S. here's the .psd that I can't edit- do I need Bazooka? Is that the
only thing stopping me from editing it?