Another copyright question

Viktor Pavlenko vvp-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 03:06:47 UTC 2009

>>>>> "tl" == ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> writes:

    tl> if you are a contractor, you may have more ownership to it
    tl> then you think (which is none if you were not).

No, I'm a full time.

    tl> rewriting a program in a different language, essentially a
    tl> token/form replacement, maybe a bit more, isn't going to cut
    tl> it, a program is "how it does stuff", not what its written in.

That's what I was afraid of.

    tl> you wouldn't violate copyright necessarily, and that I don't
    tl> think is the point, you would violate your employment
    tl> agreement with your employer, which could see you dismissed
    tl> with cause, and you would have no way to fight it, and also
    tl> open to $$ damages.

    tl> You would have to make full effort to rewrite the program from
    tl> design up.  You may even have stuff in your employment
    tl> contract that would prevent you from even doing this
    tl> (i.e. would you be in competition, or have harmed your
    tl> employers revenue?).

    tl> You just have to abide by the terms of your emp. contract
    tl> plain and simple.  (and the general rules regarding property
    tl> produced for an employer).  If you like your job... i suggest
    tl> you fully disclose your intentions to your boss ...  (if you
    tl> want to carry forward with it).

    tl> On the positive side, if what you did was straight forward
    tl> engineering, and not something your employer cares about
    tl> existing (With respect to competition), you can build it
    tl> again, this time faster, because of what you've learned, and
    tl> make it even better, and that would be ok, but then you still
    tl> might be pissing of your employer :(

I appreciate your input, surely I have to talk to my employer again,
the application is not mission critical, rather general purpose. If I
succeed and publish it, I'll post a link here.

--
Viktor