No O/S as a right more than ever

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 02:39:17 UTC 2009

I. Khider wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> Well looks like I am alone in the room here in thinking that the idea of
> pre-installing machines with Windows (or Mac for that matter, equally
> horrid) as a default option in our society is wrong. The fact that
> students have to resort to piracy to get software they need from Mac or
> Windows to develop their education and ideas is pretty toxic in my
> books. That an artist, 2/3d designer has to pirate software to develop
> their ideas--the list goes on.

No one has to "pirate" software. That student has the option of running
free alternatives regardless of whether the OS is Linux, Windows, or OS
X. The underlying OS is only part of the equation. No one forces you to
buy Windows or OS X, as has already been pointed out to you several
times. Even with notebook computers, you have the option of buying
"naked" machines and installing Linux yourself or buying Linux
pre-loaded from various vendors, including HP. You just seem to want to
pick a fight.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay