No O/S as a right more than ever

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 02:42:20 UTC 2009

On 4/21/09, I. Khider <contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> Well looks like I am alone in the room here in thinking that the idea of
> pre-installing machines with Windows (or Mac for that matter, equally
> horrid) as a default option in our society is wrong. The fact that
> students have to resort to piracy to get software they need from Mac or
> Windows to develop their education and ideas is pretty toxic in my
> books. That an artist, 2/3d designer has to pirate software to develop
> their ideas--the list goes on. This list states I am taking an extreme
> pro-Linux stance when I am say we need 'choice' is unfair--I am looking
> for balance. I say, resort to civil means if one has to--to re-introduce
> balance and harmony. That opensource options are not being pursued
> because companies have successfuly marginalized them out of existence
> thanks to consumer complacency--especially in Canada.

Having windows pre-installed on a machine sucks. That noted, the
question is where to go from here? The best real world option in my
books would be to:

- Buy the hardware you want.
- Refuse to accept the included MS Windows licence
- Go after the hardware vendor, take them to small claims court if required.

Henry Ford once noted of the Model T automobile "Any customer can have
a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.". Point
was, that for the first year of production the Model T was offered in
6 colours, but then to cut down on costs Ford reduced the colour
options down to just black. Various PC vendors selling with just one
OS is a pain, but unlike the days of Henry Ford, there is the licence
refusal option and legal means that you can use to recover $ from the
vendor...