No O/S as a right more than ever

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 21 00:54:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM, I. Khider <contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Let me rephrase the question to you and all TLUG members--what would make me
> have a case?

In order to have the basis for a civil lawsuit, you need to have
*some* legal basis for claiming either that:

a) A vendor had agreed to sell you a computer running Linux, and did
not live up their contractual obligation, or

b) There is some sort of tort involved in neglecting to offer to sell
a computer running Linux.

The latter requires that you establish that the vendor had some
specific duty to exercise some standard of care which they failed due
to not including Linux.

It seems to me that trying to establish tort would require torturous
reasoning, and it is not at all obvious to me that this establishes
the sort of legal precedents that I'd want to have around.  I'm not
sure that this is a legal fight I'd want to see either fought or won.

I don't think that there's either any obvious "basic Human Right" here
or any obvious sort of tort involved.
Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I
find myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html