[OT?] Copyright infringement, Scrabulous, and the GPL

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 20 22:02:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Marc Lanctot wrote:

> I'm interested in games, board games in particular, and the case with
> Scrabulous. Scrabulous got nailed with lawsuits because they referred to
> Scrabble and used a trademarked name attached to their product; they have now
> renamed their service to Lexulous, but it's still the exact same game as

Hi Marc.  IANAL.  I'm a long time boardgame player[1].  My understanding
from discussions around the boardgaming community is that games themselves
_cannot_ be copyrighted but the rules and artwork can.  As a result it is
possible to produce a "work alike" game as long as it doesn't look like
the original or share the same words in the rules.

Again, IANAL but this is a topic that has been discussed in boardgaming
circles.

> So my question is this: is it legal to implement a (say GPL'd) online game
> which allows users to play a game whose original rules etc. are under

Quite a number of board games can be played online and often with the
original name and artwork.  In these cases I presume permission was
granted or they are flying underneath the radar.

[1] These days I'm mostly into German Games.  Favourite games include
Mideast Peace, Medici, & Merchant of Venus.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy