[OT?] Copyright infringement, Scrabulous, and the GPL

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 20 21:24:24 UTC 2009

I figure this the place to ask about my question concerning copyright.

After doing some light reading on copyright infringement, I'm still a
bit unclear on what qualifies as infringement.

It is clear to me that making an exact copy of a copyrighted item and
distributing it is a clear case of infringement (a song, a movie, etc.).

I'm interested in games, board games in particular, and the case with
Scrabulous. Scrabulous got nailed with lawsuits because they referred to
Scrabble and used a trademarked name attached to their product; they
have now renamed their service to Lexulous, but it's still the exact
same game as Scrabble except with slightly different colors. I know
another server which offers play-by-email games
(http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/) and he has a lot of popular games
implemented under different names as well. Brettspeilwelt and Game Table
Online actually use the game's name and graphics, but I'm assuming they
have deals with the respective gaming companies.

So my question is this: is it legal to implement a (say GPL'd) online
game which allows users to play a game whose original rules etc. are
under copyrights /as long as you don't use their names and art/? Is it
legal to distribute the implementation under GPL? If so, "how legal" is
this? Suppose I do this.. should I be prepared to have lawyers knocking
on my door?

Marc

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
   -- Steven Wright