Minimize the Microsoft tax; get a netbook

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 20 13:46:45 UTC 2009

An interesting article from ZDNet indicates that Microsoft makes even
less money per netbook shipping with XP than I thought; less than $15 per.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3418

This compares with about $70 for other computers pre-loaded with Vista.

So if you *must* have a MS operating system to run some apps, netbooks
continue to be the best way to minimize what you give to MS.

Of course, netbooks also allow many options to dispense with Windows
entirely with Linux pre-loads. However, I find that some of the
post-purchase installs of Linux distributions (think eeebuntu) to be
even better than some of the pre-installs.

- Evan