Flattening a websitey

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 16 21:47:20 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-16, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>
>> I have a strange, interesting problem.  I have a dynamic website which
>> is going to stop being dynamic - it will no longer be updated in the
>> future, but we'd like to keep it up and running, rather than going dark.
>>
>> The dynamic nature of the site is pretty simple - just a content
>> management system.
>>
>> I was wondering - could you put squid in front of this site, hit it with
>> a crawler, and then replace the old site with the contents of the cache?
>> Is this a sane approach?
>>
>> Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks!
>
>     I'd use wget -r to duplicate the site locally and replace it with
>     that.

I did this once with a "legacy" Bugzilla instance, where there were
such massive changes between old and new versions that it was
implausible to convert data from the old instance into the new one.

By pulling a copy via wget, we had an archive of the old bugs.  Not
editable, of course, but they were *available*...